[Linux-aus] Linux Australia Code of Conduct - revised draft

Paul Shirren shirro at shirro.com
Mon Nov 28 08:44:08 EST 2011

On 27/11/11 10:08 PM, Russell Coker wrote:

> http://www.pocruises.com.au/alreadybooked/pages/bookingpassagetermsconditions.aspx
>
> An example of this is the typical contract for a cruise ship.  From the above

LCA2010/LCA2011 covered the legal side with a couple of paras and a
bullet list in the Terms and Conditions giving the "Captain" the power
required. Isn't the Code of Conduct a separate thing. Perhaps the extra
detail in a policy document like the CoC might help the organisers to
ensure that matters are handled consistently and correctly. I suspect
ships have extensive procedure manuals guiding the captain and crew
despite the terse T&C.

I think the draft policy is worthwhile but may be trying to address a
lot of things and perhaps is more successful in some areas than others.
For me the weakness is the bullet list items. I think they could be
expanded as a two or three word description leaves some things unclear
unless you have a lot of context. Previous online discussions have shown
items like "unwanted photography" are not universally understood. The
other shorter policies have a much easier job to do and I think they do
it better as a result.