[Linux-aus] Linux Australia Code of Conduct - revised draft

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sun Nov 27 22:38:29 EST 2011

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011, Donna Benjamin <donna at cc.com.au> wrote:
> Discussion with Susanne Ruthven, Human Rights lawyer and conference
> director of LCA2010, suggested that less is more when it comes to these
> things.

http://www.pocruises.com.au/alreadybooked/pages/bookingpassagetermsconditions.aspx

An example of this is the typical contract for a cruise ship.  From the above
# Rights of the Captain

# If a passenger seriously affects the safety, well-being or enjoyment of
# themselves or any other person on board, the Captain has the right to
# confine, sedate or disembark the passenger. In such cases, we are not
# responsible for any expenses including your return home. In addition, you
# will not be entitled to any refunds. While the Captain will always act
# reasonably in these circumstances, you accept that the safety, well-being
# and enjoyment of everyone on board, comes first.

That means the captain may summarily imprison passengers on board and/or
forcibly remove them at the next port if they make other passengers "seriously
unhappy".

I'm not advocating for a shorter policy (I don't have strong opinions on the
issue of whether it should be short or long).  I am merely noting that some
fairly large companies seem to have found that short policies work well for
them.  Also cruise passengers seem to be happy with this (a quick search
didn't turn up forum discussions saying that it sucks).