[Linux-aus] What changes? (was: Eliminating fees from the constitution?)

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Sat May 7 13:25:53 EST 2011

On Sat, 2011-05-07 at 08:41 +0930, David Newall wrote:
> I just realised that the changes presented are not against our
> constitution, as at http://linux.org.au/content/constitution.  I find
> that quite unsettling and don't see the point of them.  Do you have
> diffs of proposed changes to our actual consitution?

David - Perhaps you missed the entire point of this exercise?
An explanation of why the actual constitution is not relevant is here
http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/2011-April/018792.html

Our current constitution does not comply with current regulation.

1. Over the years changes have been made to the constitution by the
membership at Annual General Meetings.

2. Many (most? all?) of these changes were not actually lodged with the
relevant authority.

3. There are new 'Model Rules' for associations such as ours.

4. To bring our constitution in line with actual practice (eg. online
voting) and a desire to change the financial year we need to get our
constitution ship-shape.

5. To do 4, we need to adopt the new model rules, and apply some
changes.

6. Seriously - is anyone really interested in this administrivia?

7. Mary has done an extraordinary job and has a level head on her
shoulders. She should be applauded, and encouraged to get on with the
task of getting this organisation back into a state of compliance.
(and then probably given a medal)

8. There is no skull-duggery afoot in relation to membership.

Ok?

--
Donna Benjamin - Executive Director
Creative Contingencies - http://cc.com.au