[Linux-aus] Request for Sponsorship for Barcamp Gold Coast on 2nd April

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Thu Mar 31 14:54:36 EST 2011

On 3/31/11 11:42 AM, Kathy Reid wrote:
> As someone who has assisted with several BarCamps in Victoria, one of
> the key benefits from such events is the development of a community that
> occurs. Connections, friendships and a strong sense of 'belonging' -
> completely immeasurable outcomes - are the result of such events.

Oh, don't get me wrong -- I have nothing against bar camps. I guess my
question is, how is the community that is built in the best interests of
Linux Australia members? Surely Linux Australia is obliged to spend its
money in a manner consistent with those interests. If there isn't a
strong overlap between the Bar Camp community and the Linux Australia
membership, then I'm uncomfortable with Linux Australia sponsoring these
events.

So, do Bar Camps somehow promote the use of open source in Australia? If
so, how?

Mikal