[Linux-aus] Request for Sponsorship for Barcamp Gold Coast on 2nd April

Steve Dalton steve at refactor.com.au
Thu Mar 31 13:31:05 EST 2011

Thanks Kathy.

I've run 11 of these barcamps now - and yes, catering is always a
challenge. Everything else to do with organising I am pretty good at
by now.

At the last one in Brisbane we actually had no catering (it was at the
Edge and their mandated caterers were very expensive) so we all just
went across the road to the pub where they did us a good bulk discount
on a burger.

Bond is a little more isolated - so I've had to stick with something local.

Anyway - all solved now - should be a great event. We have great
network at this one - so if anyone wants to video (Skype or whatever
works for you) in and talk to us about something cool - please let me
know.

Steve

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Kathy Reid <kathy at kathyreid.id.au> wrote:
> As someone who has assisted with several BarCamps in Victoria, one of
> the key benefits from such events is the development of a community that
> occurs. Connections, friendships and a strong sense of 'belonging' -
> completely immeasurable outcomes - are the result of such events.
>
> One of the most difficult things with BarCamps, which aim to be
> grassroots events and as cheap as possible for participants to remove
> barriers to participation, is sourcing funding and sponsorship. Catering
> is often the biggest cost, and an element some organisations (such as
> Multimedia Victoria - who have been amazing supporters of some of our
> Victorian efforts) deliberately exclude from grants.
>
> BarCamp organisers are volunteers. It takes a HUGE amount of time to
> plan, organise and ensure the smooth running of a BarCamp. Providing
> sponsorship - even in a small amount - recognises the efforts of
> organisers and encourages others to stick their hands up and volunteer -
> so that organisers don't get burnt out and drop out of the community
> altogether.
>
> I believe that Linux Australia should be supportive of Spidie's efforts
> - even with a token contribution of a couple of hundred dollars, even if
> it is not longer desperately needed - as a matter of principle.
>
> I'd also like to with the BarCampGC team all the very best for an
> amazing BarCamp! You guys rock!
>
> Kind regards,
> Kathy

Refactor
Engage. Succeed. Repeat.
PO Box 802, Labrador, Q 4215, Australia
tel: +61 (0)7 5668 3424 web: refactor.com.au