[Linux-aus] Speakers for LUGs: anyone coming to Perth (or want to come? )

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Thu Mar 10 22:52:34 EST 2011

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Julien Goodwin <jgoodwin at studio442.com.au> wrote:
> LA have certainly done grants for LUG travel before and paid for me to
> fly down to Hobart overnight (billet accommodation).

Some years ago the Ballarat LUG was formed with a special Saturday meeting and
mini-conf where a bunch of LUV members gave presentations about things that
they do.  I think that this format worked well and it might be worth flying a
few Linux people to one place at the same time for a similar event.

If we had 4+ experts in various fields give presentations in Perth on a
Saturday afternoon then who here would be prepared to travel to Perth from
another state to attend?

Of people who would be interested in attending such an event (Perth locals and
people from other states), who would be prepared to pay $25 to attend?  I
presume that people who are prepared to pay $150 in air-fares would be happy
to spend an extra $25.

I think that it would be good if every few months we could have an event
somewhere in Australia that provides a similar quality of talks to an LCA
mini-conf but with anything related to Linux being on topic.