[Linux-aus] geek feminism - from the other side

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Tue Mar 1 21:07:41 EST 2011

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011, Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal at eyal.emu.id.au> wrote:
> Mmm. I resent the claim that men (which I am one) are somehow inferior
> to women in IT.

Whenever there is a factor which makes it more difficult for a group then
members of that group who participate will tend to be more dedicated, and this
usually results in being more effective.

When I worked in London in 1999 Australians were well regarded in the IT
industry.  The Australians I worked with in Australia through the 90's didn't
seem to work any harder than the British people I worked with in London.  But
as London is about the furthest place from Australia that one might go to
advance their career the Australians in London were quite dedicated and did a
good job.  I'm sure that any British people who moved to Australia to advance
their career would be equally dedicated.

When I was at university in 1991-1993 among the Australian students in my
course there weren't many women, but the few women were very dedicated.  They
knew what they wanted and worked hard to get it.  Having a slight preference
for hiring a female applicant would reduce the probability of getting a
slacker.

I don't think that men are inferior.  It's just that the women who are less
dedicated departed long ago.  But the IT industry is still a place where a man
with minimal talent can earn a decent salary.