[Linux-aus] IRC LUG Meeting for Tuesday 28th 8pm EST

Mary Gardiner mary at puzzling.org
Mon Jun 27 10:23:15 EST 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011, Don Knowles wrote:
> 1. Should other LUGs follow what SLUG is doing, and become a committee of
> LA?
> 2. If so, is it even possible for LUGs in states other than N.S.W., where LA
> is incorporated?

Disclaimer: not a lawyer, not even the Council member who understands our
insurance policy best.

My understanding is that LA's insurance covers activities Australia-wide and
certainly is able to cover LCA even when (as is usual) it is held outside NSW.
We've also had WordCamp Melbourne and Gold Coast, and Drupal Down Under (Bris
and Mel) as subcommittees, also outside NSW. UG meetings are recurring, but
otherwise much the same.

Becoming a subcommittee of LA has a couple of material advantages, one is the
insurance and the other is, if necessary, access to a bank account and seed
money for projects/events after approval of a budget, with LA taking care of
accounting and tax filing and such. Neither of those is limited in usefulness
to NSW.

(For people not familiar with the procedure:
http://www.linux.org.au/linux-australia-event-support

-Mary