[Linux-aus] IRC LUG Meeting for Tuesday 28th 8pm EST

Don Knowles donakk at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 01:13:47 EST 2011

Hi,

Firstly, I have to apologise for having missed the last two IRC meets.
It's not for lack of interest I assure you! Real life has simply intruded in
unhelpful ways ...

I will be attending this months, because I believe there are a couple of
topics worthy of discussion:

1. Should other LUGs follow what SLUG is doing, and become a committee of
LA?
2. If so, is it even possible for LUGs in states other than N.S.W., where LA
is incorporated?

Speaking for CQLUG, we're not even a club in any but the loosest terms,
since we felt there
was no need for any formal structures amongst the dozen or so regular
attendees of meetings,
or our readership on the mailing list.
We certainly aren't incorporated under the relevant Queensland legislation.

In addition we have the perennial favourite: what's doing for Software
Freedom Day?
It's only a couple of months away, and while we here at CQLUG are still well
supplied with CDs/DVDs
from the previous Linux Australia support, others might need more, or need
to make other arrangements?

Our activity in that regard has been to help run an "exhibition" of Linux at
CQ University as part of the
university's own Open Day, generally held the week before SFD ... which
avoids the need to make our
own arrangements for insurance, or to impose on LA.

Hope to see you there!
--
Don Knowles, Rockhampton, Australia
a Founding Member of Central Queensland Linux User Group