[Linux-aus] World ipv6 day

Mary Gardiner mary at puzzling.org
Fri Jun 10 13:13:03 EST 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011, Russell Stuart wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 07:25 +1000, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> > Having IPv6 nameservers also would be practically necessary for completely
> > native IPv6 connections, correct? org.au has no such nameservers (which isn't
> > Linux Australia's fault!)
>
> I know there are handing out IPv6 addresses, because it stuffed me up.
> Rsync to mirror.linux.org.au hung, it ended up being because rsync was
> using an IPv6 address:

The issue I raised is not whether they hand out IPv6 addresses (ie, if they
answer queries for AAAA), it is that they *themselves* are not reachable over
IPv6. So it goes like this, if one didn't have IPv4 at all (which of course
everyone does and will for ages, precisely because of problems like this):

 1. You ask the root servers over IPv6 for the au servers, of which a couple
    (a3.audns.net.au for example) have IPv6. ("dig -t au" to see this)

 2. You ask the au servers for the org.au servers, and none of them have IPv6
    addresses ("dig -t ns org.au")

 3. ... failure to profit! There is no server to run the query for linux.org.au
    against.

As I said in the parent post though, the problem at #2 isn't something LA or
its admins have any control over, so we're as close as we can be and the rest
of the world has to catch up!

Thanks again admins,

-Mary