[Linux-aus] World ipv6 day

Russell Stuart russell-linuxaus at stuart.id.au
Fri Jun 10 10:53:19 EST 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 07:25 +1000, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> Having IPv6 nameservers also would be practically necessary for completely
> native IPv6 connections, correct? org.au has no such nameservers (which isn't
> Linux Australia's fault!)

I know there are handing out IPv6 addresses, because it stuffed me up.
Rsync to mirror.linux.org.au hung, it ended up being because rsync was
using an IPv6 address:

        $ telnet mirror.linux.org.au 873
        Trying 2001:388:1034:2900::25...
        Trying 150.203.164.37...
        Connected to linux.anu.edu.au.
        Escape character is '^]'.
        @RSYNCD: 30.0

Interestingly is works much better post IPv6 day.  The IPv6 address is
failing quickly, whereas a couple of weeks ago it wasn't.

Anyway, my point was it doesn't matter if the .org.au servers are
handing out IPv6 address.  After recursing down the DNS tree final query
for mirror.linux.org.au goes to its name servers (russell.linux.org.au,
ns1.andrew.net.au), and they are enabled for IPv6.