[Linux-aus] linux.conf.au and Brisbane flooding

John Ferlito johnf at inodes.org
Wed Jan 12 21:24:57 EST 2011


As you are no doubt aware Brisbane is currently in the middle of a
flood crisis. I would like to send our support to all of those being
affected by the flooding across Queensland.

The Linux Australia Council has just finished meeting with the
linux.conf.au team and has received a full update as to the current
situation in Brisbane.

Firstly I would like to extend my full support and congratulations to
the linux.conf.au team. They have been handling this difficult
situation well and it has been great to see the constant flow of
information coming from the team.

While we have all hopes that the conference will proceed at this
stage, it is simply too early to say whether the conference will go
ahead or not.

A final go or no go decision will be made on Monday the 17th. The
council will meet with the linux.conf.au committee on the afternoon of
the 17th and we hope to have an announcement out by 7pm.

While at this stage it looks like the most important venues that will
be using will be OK, one of the most important factors that will be
helping us make this decision is the impact that 700+ delegates will
have on the city of Brisbane.

Early next week the linux.conf.au team will be getting in contact with
the mayor and premiers offices to get their input into our decision
making process.

In the meantime the linux.conf.au team will be sending out daily
updates with new information as it is available.

Linux Australia President

Blog                             http://www.inodes.org
LCA2011                          http://www.lca2011.org.au

More information about the linux-aus mailing list