[Linux-aus] The Ada Initiative - Should Linux Australia support it?

Silvia Pfeiffer silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de
Thu Feb 24 17:46:30 EST 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 4:05 PM,  <david at davidnewall.com> wrote:
> Silvia Pfeiffer:
>
>> You are implying that women that don't choose to take a technical
>> career should not be there because they would not be qualified in the
>> first place.
>
> No, I'm not. I don't know how you arrived at that inference.
>

>> the number of women in computing ... has got lower since [2002].
>> Again: you don't regard this as a problem?
>
> Correct. A person's sex is immaterial.

If it was, we'd have roughly 50:50 participation. Obviously we don't,
therefore the question is: why not. Your implication was: they are not
interested, which is not true, as can be seen by participation numbers
in other countries. Your other argument was: we don't want to attract
unqualified people into the profession, which implies that rising the
share of women from 10% would mean we attract unqualified people,
therefore all women that don't take up this profession are not
qualified. QED my first statement.

Silvia.