[Linux-aus] Some Anti-Harassment Policies considered harmful

Pomke Nohkan pomke at pomke.com
Sun Feb 20 14:41:17 EST 2011

Hiya there,

Completely aside from the issue of people wanting to be photographed or not,
a few people have talked about forcing attendees to delete photos with the
use of security guards, or confiscating cameras.

I really doubt anyone has any legal authority to attempt these things, not
even the police outside of removing a persons equipment as they are being
arrested. IANAL, but as far as I am aware the only thing you could do is
evict someone from the conference, you would then need a court order to
enforce removing the images from their equipment.

- Pomke

PS: An alternative might be to have a specific area that is marked as free
game for photographers which people could just avoid (this would need to be
an area that would not obstruct people moving about or missing out on
anything in particular simply because they do not want to be photographed.)

Then tell people "If you are on stage giving a talk, people will photograph
you, if you are in this area, people may photograph you", then it is opt-in,
any other photography outside of those two contexts (ie: taking a photo of a
group chatting in a corridor) would require the explicit consent of
everyone.

--
     _.--.
    .'   ` '   Pomke Nohkan