[Linux-aus] Council Meeting Minutes - 2011-02-03

Jeff Waugh jdub at bethesignal.org
Thu Feb 3 22:26:01 EST 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 21:34, Donna Benjamin <donna at cc.com.au> wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 21:10 +1100, Peter Lieverdink wrote:
> > Event video, now and in the future
> > Video and audio must be made available via the LA mirror as soon as
> > possible. Not elsewhere first.
>
> Ummm... Yeah so I would think getting the video out ASAP seems more
> important than exactly where it's initially hosted?
>
> I thought the AV streaming at LCA this year was amazing, and subsequent
> posting to blip.tv made it very accessible to people who couldn't make
> it to the conference.
>
> Can someone please explain the rationale behind this statement?

Obviously not speaking for the committee, and based on a mixture of my own
thoughts and feedback received from others during the event:

   - There is no question that merely publishing the video during the event
   was an epic success, and an achievement for future conferences to aspire to.
   - The blip library interface is painful, buggy and inflexible, so you
   spend a lot of time dicking around trying to get to the videos (or you end
   up making a wiki page to link all of the videos and everyone uses that
   instead -- surprise).
   - Even raw downloads from blip (not using the video player, Flash or
   otherwise) are throttled, making it very difficult to suck down a bunch of
   videos quickly. This was of particular frustration to many international
   guests I spoke to, who would have liked to watch the talks they missed on
   the flight home.
   - mirror.linux.org.au is hosted in Australia, and it's fucking fast.
   - There was some bizarre rationalisation about using blip because it
   provided viewing statistics for future papers committees, but there's no
   reason we couldn't get the same out of mirror.linux.org.au (and can do
   even better).
   - Uploading to mirror.linux.org.au can/should be faster and easier from
   the venue than a non-scp-accessible system hosted overseas. :-)

Having said all of the above, I'd be very happy to help put together a nice
front-end for videos hosted on mirror.linux.org.au, with HTML5 awesome,
player/format fallbacks, stats, etc... and a method of uploading/classifying
video that makes it easy for conferences and LUGs to push stuff up there.
(And I have the sneaking suspicion that Silvia would enjoy hacking on this
too, so I will also volunteer her HTML5 super-powers!)

- Jeff