[Linux-aus] Notice of Linux Australia Special General Meeting to be held on 29/08/2011

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Aug 4 19:35:31 EST 2011

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011, John Ferlito wrote:

>     held on 29/08/2011
>
> Dear Linux Australia Member,
>
> This message is to give notice that Linux Australia Inc will hold a Special
> General Meeting of Members on Monday August 29th 2011 at 6pm Sydney time at the
> Google offices Level 5, 48 Pirrama Road, Pyrmont NSW.
>
> The agenda for the meeting is as follows and can be found at
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dw5VChBsJKOaTf-KxFJJOgy3h9eOe4A05u4UtuGtysY/edit
>

>  1. President's Welcome
>
>  2. Confirmation of minutes of the 2011 AGM. http://www.linux.org.au/meeting/2011-01-26
>
>     Motion: The membership accepts the minutes of the 2011 AGM as accurate.
>
>  3. Presentation of Treasurer’s Report
>
>     Motion: The membership accepts the 2010 treasurer’s report.
>
>  4. Presentation of Auditor’s Report
>
>     Motion: The membership accepts the Auditor’s report.
>
>  5. Constitutional Changes
>
>     The details of the constitutional changes can be found in the SGM
>     announcement.
>
>     Motion: To replace Linux Australia’s current constitution with
>     the NSW Fair Trading Model constitution (Under the Associations
>     Incorporation Act 2009).
>
>     Motion: Change the financial year of the organisation to start on
>     1 October
>
>     Motion: Apply changes to the constitution to bring the
>     constitution in line with current practices
>
>     Motion: Apply changes to the constitution to allow for renewal of
>     free memberships
>
>  6. AGM Close

I do not know what are the rules for incorporated associations in the
esatern states, but is seems a bit weird for a Special General Meeting
(SGM) to be an AGM.

Items 2, 3, 4, and 6 above, to me, belong in an AGM, not in an SGM; the
SGM should properly, from my understanding of incorporated associations
in WA, and of General Meetings, include, of the above, only items 1, 5,
and, instead of 6, "SGM close".

The other matters shoul properly, only be included in an Oerdinary AGM,
from my understanding.

Amongst other things, it would make the SGM more efficient and
expeditious.

Perhaps, the appropriate person (President ?) could clarify this?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."