[Linux-aus] [Announce] Notice of Linux Australia Special General Meeting to be held on 29/08/2011

John Ferlito johnf at inodes.org
Thu Aug 4 11:49:20 EST 2011

Hi Anand,

On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 03:04:15PM +0100, Anand Kumria wrote:
> > This changes the start of the financial year from the 1st January to the
> > 1st October while still keeping it 12 months.
> >

> Oddly I believe when I was treasurer the financial year was the (default)
> one for organisations.
>
> i.e. 1 July - 30 June

At some stage after that it was moved to December to better align with
the AGM.

> I'm not sure when the financial year change too place previously but is
> there any particular reason to not have the financial year follow the
> default in Australia? Perhaps you could highlight that reason in the
> constitutional amendment as well.

There are three reasons we picked October. Firstly it aligns with when
BAS's are due. Secondly it occurs at a time of year that ensures that
the majority of our turnover (LCA) ends up all in one financial year.
Lastly June is a busy time for some members of the council especially
for myself since it is tax time for the majority of individuals and
businesses. So by having LA's financial year start in October it
removes some of the pressure from our already busy Volunteers.

Cheers,
John

--
John