[Linux-aus] PLUG Meeting Next Week: LUAKit, the micro-browser

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Wed Aug 3 15:36:48 EST 2011

Dear all,

An early reminder that next week's PLUG meeting on Tuesday 9th August is
at the /University Computer Club/ at UWA
(http://www.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au/). Our presenter this month is /Mason
Larobina/, the author of /LUAkit/, the micro browser.
(http://luakit.org/) - as it says on the site:

    Luakit is a highly configurable, micro-browser framework based on
    the WebKit <http://webkit.org/> web content engine and the GTK+
    <http://www.gtk.org/> toolkit. It is very fast, extensible by Lua
    <http://lua.org> and licensed under the GNU GPLv3 license.

    It is primarily targeted at power users, developers and any people
    with too much time on their hands who want to have fine-grained
    control over their web browsers behaviour and interface.

We'll be starting at *6:30pm AWST (+0800)* - free parking at UWA starts
from 5pm in Red (staff) and Yellow (student) zones. Feel free to turn up
early; we'll be attempting to stream this video live to those unable to
attend in person at http://icecast.plug.org.au:8000/ (and will take
questions via IRC); recordings may be posted afterwards.

I'm also after anyone who wants to give a lightning talk of up to 5
minutes; you don't need any slides, just something to talk about; please
let the PLUG Committee know if you have something to say!

The UCC at UWA is located above the UWA Tavern. Start by locating the
Tavern just off Hackett Drive, then proceed clockwise around the Tavern
fence until you come to a set of double doors and a staircase leading
up. Unfortunately there is no disability access to this venue due to the
stairs (and lack of lift). Thanks to Nick B and Daniel H we may have a
pretty flashy sign up outside as well to guide you in! :)

See http://www.ucc.asn.au/aboutucc/contact.ucc for details of finding
the venue. Alternatively, here is a map:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=211025271466846465617.0004a992f65b82f9824a6&msa=0&ll=-31.980996,115.819775&spn=0.000651,0.000862

Some early details on future presentations; next month we're likely to
be having a presentation on clustered file systems, and in October we
have *Rusty Russell* here in Perth for a talk, and possibly a panel
discussion/debate/arm-wrestle session - tickets required to cover costs.
See the PLUG calendar on http://www.plug.org.au/.

  James
PS: Cross posted to Linux-aus in case people would like to watch the
video stream (or jump on a plane -- your call).
--
/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2011: http://www.plug.org.au <http//www.plug.org.au>