[Linux-aus] Linux Australia core values - second draft.

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 17:42:37 EST 2011

A huge Thank You to all who provided the insightful and carefully
considered feedback when the first draft of the LA core values
statement went out to the linux-aus list. Every single piece of input
has been considered by the LA council and many have become part of
this, the second draft. Most of those suggestions that didn't make the
draft were considered valuable, but possibly of use in related policy
documents rather than in the core values declaration. It is very easy
for a values statement to derail into important but not necessarily
core aspects of what we are trying to say.

Please give the following draft your considered attention, and again,
let us know where you would like to see change.

Linux Australia Draft Statement of Values

As an organisation, we aim to represent and assist the groups and
individuals who make up the Free Software and Open Source communities
in Australia. These communities are diverse in many ways, and the
groups and individuals which constitute them have many different needs
that should be addressed and supported to the best of our ability. In
doing so, it is our goal to uphold certain values reflecting the core
philosophies around open source technologies. This statement specifies
those values which we aim to embody, embrace and promote as an
organisation.

These values should inform the strategic direction, activities and
decision making of the organisation as a whole.

Open Technology

Linux Australia was founded with a focus on the Linux operating system
but quickly evolved to embrace all facets of open technology. Open
technology is a term encompassing openness in source code, standards,
formats, licences and APIs. Whether for software sources, documents,
hardware designs, images or works of art, we value the use of open
licenses to promote the creative reuse of intellectual effort.

Open source makes code available to everyone to study, modify,
repurpose and redistribute. We value the innovation made possible by
the sharing of openly licensed intellectual effort.

Community

We value the creation, support and maintenance of community around
open technologies. This includes private individuals, community
projects, other aligned organisations and businesses engaged with open
technologies. Communities can be any combination of developers, users
or advocates of open technologies. We invite participation in our
communities and culture, and welcome newcomers.

Freedom

We value freedom in the use and development of open technologies. This
includes freedom of expression within accepted community norms.

We strongly encourage the use of free software and free culture
copyright licenses.

We value free access to, sharing of and repurposing of information, in
particular that information held by the public sector.

Respect

We value respect for people, for community, and for society. This
includes respect for the opinions, ideals and choices of others, for
the communities which we create and participate in, and for society as
a whole. It is vital that while we uphold our ideals, we respect the
ideals of others. We obey lawful restrictions placed upon us,
particularly with reference to licencing, copyright and patent law, to
the best of our ability.

Diversity

People of all ages, genders, nationalities, ethnicities, backgrounds,
abilities and walks of life are part of the communities we serve. We
respect and encourage diversity at our conferences, events, and other
activities.

--
Michael Carden
For the LA Council