[Linux-aus] Proposal: *voluntary* paid membership

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Fri Apr 29 01:09:57 EST 2011

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011, Kathy Reid <kathy at kathyreid.id.au> wrote:
> I propose that voluntary paid membership NOT be implemented for the
> following reasons;

+1 to that.

We've already had one message which seemed to suggest providing benefits to
only paid members (the message in question seemed unclear to me at the time).
Even if I misunderstood the message in question it seems like the sort of
thing that will happen if we go that way.

However it does seem reasonable to setup an automated direct-debit system for
people who want to make regular donations, and I don't object to having donors
publicly thanked if they wish.  But this isn't a paid membership, among other
things AFAIK LA membership is only available to people and I expect that there
would be some interest in having repeat donations from companies.