[Linux-aus] Proposal: *voluntary* paid membership

Kathy Reid kathy at kathyreid.id.au
Fri Apr 29 00:01:49 EST 2011

Firstly, +1 to Mary's amazing efforts on these and related matters.
Incredible dedication.

I propose that voluntary paid membership NOT be implemented for the
following reasons;

1. It introduces stratifications or classes of membership which detract
from the equity and sense of solidarity that exists within the Linux
community. We are essentially a meritocracy; status is denoted through
contribution to the community, willingness and demeanour in assisting
community members, not through how much membership you pay. I agree
however with the ability of Council to denote lifetime membership as a
method of recognition of service to the community.

2. The same effect - of implementing an alternate revenue stream - can
be done via a donate button. Other methods, such as charging a nominal
fee to employers for listing Linux jobs, or other methods of enhancing
this service such as Tweeting or denting about jobs could be explored.

3. I don't fully understand the problem that we are trying to solve. Is
it framed in generating revenue or ensuring membership is up to date? I
think there are better methods of solving both branches of the problem.

4. It might deter students and low income earners from becoming part of
the community or serve to isolate them by imposing  membership
restrictions. These are cohorts we should be actively encouraging; they
often have the most to gain by adopting Linux and the F/LOSS philosophies.

Kind regards,
Kathy