[Linux-aus] Council Meeting Minutes 2011-04-14

Peter Lieverdink me at cafuego.net
Fri Apr 15 11:57:24 EST 2011

Thu, 2011-04-14 20:03 - 21:04

Present: Peter Lieverdink, John Ferlito, Mary Gardiner, Joshua Hesketh, Kelly Yeoh, Michael Carden,
Apologies: Alice Boxhall

Agenda

LCA bid process
We're in the middle of the formal bid process. Should send reminder  from council announcment in the next few days.

Budget progress
Looking at a draft buget based on last year. Insurance costs have gone up, so budget will need adjusting after querying with broker why volunteers insurance appears to have doubled.
  - LCA Travel (bid evaluation) probably costs more than $1000
  - Zookeepr is moving into the LA budget
  - Separate SFD item should be rolled into grants
Provisionally the budget looks balanced.

Drupal Down Under 2011
Chasing up one last sponsor, so the accounts can be closed and a summary report can be written.

Drupal Down Under 2012
Venue deposit paid, locked in.
Keynotes under discussion.
Sponsorship interest.
Website design due very soon.

WordCamp Melbourne
Profit and loss complete
Waiting for committee report

Progress of 2010 financial audit
Joshua contacted the auditor, who is still working on the financial documents. Will hopefully be done by the next meeting.

2011 finances
1st quarter BAS is about ready to submit, with thanks to our accountant.

Progress of policy discussion on linux-aus: Values statement feedback
  - Some members suggest we should also mention 'free' and not just 'open'.
  - Some suggestions are perhaps not suited to a values statement, but rather a policy document.
  - What is our geographic scope? Australia or Australia + NZ?
  - Should we contact NZOSS and ask for input on our values statement?

Compliance with Fair Trading documentation
We have been contacted by fair Trading NSW and have been advised LA has not filed any annual summaries (confirming the AGM was held, and stating the financial position) since the report filed in March 2004 for financial year ending 30 June 2003.

Filing of previous years' financial statements
The current council needs to file documents with Fair Trading NSW for 1 July 2004 onwards.  Mary has found all  treasurer's reports 2004 to 2009, but is yet to check that these contain all the information needed for the Fair Trading form.

Filing of 2008 & 2009 Constitutional amendments
See http://wiki.linux.org.au/Ctte/AGM2008 and http://wiki.linux.org.au/Ctte/AGM2009
These were not filed, but they should have been filed within 28 days. Changes to the constitution are not in effect until filed. They are no longer valid.

The committee wants to thank Mary for her work on locating previous financial documents and for researching current document lodgement status with Fair Trading NSW.

Drafting of Constitutional amendments
Should LA switch to the new model constitution first and then pass changes?
  - Adopt the new model constitution?
  - Move of financial year to 1 October to 30 September?

Compliance of Constitution with July 2010 changes to the Act: http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Cooperatives_and_associations/Associations/Associations_legislation/Changes_to_associations_legislation.html

Questions from PyCon re Diversity
  - Grant for remote attendee
    Yes, this would be the correct procedure.
  - Speaker costs
    Council would prefer for the speaker to be funded out of sponsorship, not out of the grants program re diversity. Should this rather be a change to the budget so less profit is returned?

Zookeepr Hackfest
John has migrated the project to github to facilitate an easier development process.
Hackfest is this weekend in Melbourne.