[Linux-aus] Presidential Succession

Silvia Pfeiffer silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de
Fri May 7 15:39:02 EST 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Bret Busby <bret at busby.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 7 May 2010, David Newall wrote:
>

>> Rather than make up rules ad hoc, the council might consult the
>> associations legal representative.
>>

> In all of the circumstances, I think that this is what should be done -
> the council should obtain legal advice from the organisation's legal
> counsel, and, should publish that advice to the list, and act according
> to that advice, whether the council and/or the memebership, likes it or
> not.
>
> At the moment, all we have is disagreement, with all kinds of people
> appointing themselves as qualified legal practitioners, handing out
> legal advice, and, one person having effectively said that he council
> can do what it likes, because it is the council, and that the general
> membership can take a running jump.
>
> So, I say that the council should, in writing, request a legal opinion
> on the matter, from the organisation's duly appointed legal council, and
> publish on the list, the written legal opinion of the organisation's
> duly appointed legal counsel, and, act according to the qualified legal
> opinion of the organisation's duly appointed legal counsel, and end the
> matter there, so as to end any further disputes by self-appointed legal
> practitioners who are not qualified to legally practise law.

I'd rather the organisation spent its money in better ways than paying
a lawyer to clarify a situation that is not really a problem. I don't
think anyone has yet voiced explicitly that they don't want John as
president and Joshua as treasurer. If so, that would be much more of a
discussion topic than deciding about the actual letter of the
constitution.

Regards,
Silvia.