[Linux-aus] Presidential Succession

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri May 7 14:49:01 EST 2010

On Fri, 7 May 2010, David Newall wrote:

> Rather than make up rules ad hoc, the council might consult the
> associations legal representative.

In all of the circumstances, I think that this is what should be done -
the council should obtain legal advice from the organisation's legal
counsel, and, should publish that advice to the list, and act according
to that advice, whether the council and/or the memebership, likes it or
not.

At the moment, all we have is disagreement, with all kinds of people
appointing themselves as qualified legal practitioners, handing out
legal advice, and, one person having effectively said that he council
can do what it likes, because it is the council, and that the general
membership can take a running jump.

So, I say that the council should, in writing, request a legal opinion
on the matter, from the organisation's duly appointed legal council, and
publish on the list, the written legal opinion of the organisation's
duly appointed legal counsel, and, act according to the qualified legal
opinion of the organisation's duly appointed legal counsel, and end the
matter there, so as to end any further disputes by self-appointed legal
practitioners who are not qualified to legally practise law.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."