[Linux-aus] Pre-AGM Treasurer's brief

Anthony Towns aj at erisian.com.au
Mon Jan 11 22:26:57 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 03:21:05PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> But with the caveat that this is is based on draft figures that are still
> subject to finalisation and whatnot, here's roughly where LA stands from
> a financial perspective.

Okay, so the finalised figures as presented at the AGM are at:

  http://wiki.linux.org.au/Ctte/TreasurerReport2009

There's two PDFs there, one focussing on LA activities over the course
of 2009, and one giving an overall summary of LCA activities.

The LCA one includes a graph comparing the costs of running an LCA
between 2005 and 2010, along with the surplus profits that were left
over. The 2010 figures are obviously guesstimates at this point. Also,
the 2005 figures shouldn't be directly compared with the others as they
were accounted for differently, and may be incomplete -- of course, that
isn't going to stop /me/, and I don't see why it should stop you either.

Of particular interest is the 2006 figures, which thanks to the efforts
of the 2010 LCA team in resolving the accounting issues that we had for
the Dunedin LCA, has turned out to have left us with an overall $18,000
(AUD) surplus. We had believed that the 2006 LCA had left us with at most
a small profit ($4,618 was the figure in the 2006 Treasurer's report),
or possibly left us with a loss. So this is obviously much better!

The spike in costs in Sydney in 2007 reflects that teams' desire to
run a much bigger conference than previously, a philosophy which has
basically continued since.

I don't think there's much else interesting to be pulled from the numbers
there, but feel free to prove me wrong.

The LA PDF provides a financial perspective of LA's activities over the
past twelve months. That's not necessarily all that useful -- money
spent doesn't necessarily have any correlation with benefit gained,
but it can still be interesting.

The first thing to note is that since the NZ accounts are kept in a
separate books, this only reflects the Australian balances -- so no
income and very few expenses from LCA 2010 are represented. Aside from
the $75,000's "loaned" to the NZ accounts LCA 2010 information simply
doesn't appear. As per the previous mail, our current expectation is
that when the NZ accounts are closed after LCA 2010 is complete, that
$75,000 will be repaid along with an estimated surplus of perhaps $80,000
(all figures AUD).

Okay, so that said, we have four divisional profit and loss statements in
the report, summarising our administrative overhead, special projects, grants,
and the mirror project.

Administrative overhead has traditionally primarily gone to insurance and
face to face meeting costs, however this year we've also had significant
storage (and corresponding transport) expenses due to the various assets
we've acquired for LCA (networking equipment, unsold merchandise and
some other stuff). Our administrative costs are largely balanced by the
interest we've received on held funds, however.

Special projects this year included:

   - donations for the Devil Foundation ($27,323 received via the charity
     auction and otherwise; $35,036 presented to the foundation in June)
       -- http://www.utas.edu.au/foundation/devil.htm

   - sponsorship of travel costs for media training in NZ ($606 in July)

   - support of Open Edge 2009, including sponsorship and support
     for speaker travel ($4364 in August)
       -- http://open-edge.info/

   - branding of blank CDs/DVDs for Software Freedom Day and other events
     ($4214 in September)

   - donation for the Phillip Island Penguin Foundation which was the
     chosen charity for LCA 2008 ($10,000 in December)
       -- http://www.penguinfoundation.org.au/

   - final payment for our support of the Unlocking IP research program
     at UNSW Cyberlaw institute ($10,000 in December).
       -- http://www.bakercyberlawcentre.org/

That totals to just under $37,000; $20,000 of which was support for
two LCA charities and $10,000 finishing a commitment made in late 2005
(which should have been paid in 2007 and 2008), leaving just under $7,000
of commitments made this year.

The line between some of those items and things included under the
grants scheme is somewhat blurry -- in theory the main difference is
grants are proposed by members and discussed on the linux-aus list
before being approved, and are limited to $2000; "special projects"
don't have those limitations, but may well meet them anyway.

But that brings us to this year's grants. These were:

   - Assisting Robin Gareus with travel for FOMS and LCA and other
     speaking ($1818 ex GST in January)
       -- http://lists.linux.org.au/archives/linux-aus/2009-January/017194.html

   - Support for StixCamp in New Stead ($500 in March)
       -- http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/2009-February/017344.html

   - Support for Melbourne BarCamp ($1000 in September)
       -- http://lists.linux.org.au/private/committee/2009-August/016202.html

   - Support for Malak Telecentro in Darwin for computer hardware ($1800
     in November)
       -- http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/2009-February/017345.html

That comes to just over $5000, for a total of $42,000 spent on grants
and special projects this year, approximately $12,000 of which was also
authorised by the LA council this year.

Finally the mirror project had two expenses this year -- a replacement
power supply and an external TB hard drive, both paid out of pocket by
Michael Still and reimbursed in July.

Cheers,
aj