[Linux-aus] [LACTTE] Notes for Council Meeting 2010/02/17

Terry Dawson terry at linux.org.au
Mon Feb 22 16:19:48 EST 2010

James Purser wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 11:46 +1100, Peter Lieverdink wrote:
>
>> Wouldn't it be relatively easy for the winning team to set up an account at a *local* Westpac branch as soon as they know they've won and have the relevant council members added shortly after the election? When LCA is over and the finances are done, move what's left back to the LA account and close that LCA account.
>>
>> It's not as if the LA ctte necessarily need full access to the LCA account. Just read-only is fine. All LA need to do is make sure the LCA account has enough money in it to pay bills.
>>
>> I believe Westpac have consistently refused to remove old council members off the LA account, so in theory there are signatories now that should not have access. By starting a brand new shiny account for each LCA rather than re-use old ones, you prevent that from happening.
>
> Umm this presents a bit of a problem. Why exactly is Westpac refusing to
> take former council members off the LA Account?

They didn't refuse. They were inept.

I sat in while John dealt with Westpac to tidy up the details this time.

I went through exactly the same exercise in 2008?, except that I
actually got them to pull the magic manilla folder and personally went
through the paperwork with them, and they still got it wrong.

Their processes are (were, they're changing apparently) almost
completely paper-based with pieces of paper being faxed around the
country in order to get anything done, and hence error-prone.

Suffice it to say, I have little confident that they're going to be
correct this time either, but you never know, we might have gotten lucky.

Terry