[Linux-aus] Fwd: [LACTTE] Notes for Council Meeting 2010/02/03

Silvia Pfeiffer silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de
Mon Feb 15 14:48:12 EST 2010

I have something a little bit off topic but related to the whole
education discussion.

At my son's school, every few months they receive a letter (yes on
paper) from a Microsoft certified partner about how they have special
offers for education on their software. These letters get posted into
my school's weekly update letter, so reach every single student. I
can't attach a sample cause it contains username and password for the
school.

I am wondering firstly if such things happen at other schools, too,
and secondly if there wasn't a chance for us to do something similar -
write a letter about some education distribution (e.g. edubuntu) and
how it's free and all the cool stuff it can do etc. I'm sure in the
interest of the schools' sudents and also in the interest of being unbiased,
the schools would distribute such a letter in the same way.

This might be a more effective approach to reaching students, in
particular those that haven't already heard about open source in some
other way and might get us a lot more interest than, e.g. a stall at
an expo.

Just a thought and maybe a motivation for somebody to formulate such a
letter and send it officially from Linux Australia - it'd have to come
from an organisation IMO.

BTW: If somebody is indeed keen to sit down and write such a letter, I
can send a copy of what the MS distributor sent. I just cannot attach
it to a publicly archived email.

Cheers,
Silvia.