[Linux-aus] comment for an article on Government website accessibility

Samps samps at unplugd.com
Thu May 28 11:16:32 EST 2009

On Thu, 28 May 2009 10:57:09 am Paul Coldrey wrote:
.. basically the commonwealth puts up the
> money but it is up to the school bodies and state governments to decide
> how to spend it,.. hence, one might imagine a lot of repeated effort and
> a great disparity in the quality of the outcomes for different schools.

Sadly so. I am one the many techs working in South Australian schools and,
what we're seeing is, that our Department of Education is withholding $250 in
every $1000 of the DER (Digital Education Revolution)-money, to pay for
proprietary software licensing cost. That is money that could make the
difference between a very basic computer and a fairly decent one.

Also, the money is subject to a tie-in to certain vendors that we are allowed
to buy the equipment/software from, and every and all computer, be it a Mac,
Solaris, Linux, Windows, have to be accompanied by a Windows license.

Samps