[Linux-aus] comment for an article on Government website accessibility

Paul Coldrey paul at ensigma.com.au
Thu May 28 11:27:09 EST 2009

Samps wrote:
> On Wed, 27 May 2009 04:17:14 pm Bret Busby wrote:
>
>> The prime monster cannot be contacted by email.
>>

> Maybe not. But at least he is offering an explanation as to why he doesn't
> want you to email him, AND a webform that you can use instead:
>
> http://www.pm.gov.au/contact/index.cfm

After the PM announced the Laptops for year 11 and 12 students policy, I
used this link to send him a message outlining the need to consider Open
Source software for this project. A short time later I received a
1-and-a-half page, well-considered response (which specifically
addressed the points I raised) from the education minister. It was even
personally signed (and yes it was pen ink not a printed signature). From
the accessibility point of view (both access to the politicians and 'cos
the site worked in Firefox) I found this to be pretty impressive. The
policy was less impressive,.. basically the commonwealth puts up the
money but it is up to the school bodies and state governments to decide
how to spend it,.. hence, one might imagine a lot of repeated effort and
a great disparity in the quality of the outcomes for different schools.

Cheers,

    Paul