[Linux-aus] Things not to post to planet linux australia

Anthony Towns aj at erisian.com.au
Thu Mar 26 18:08:03 EST 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 07:45:21PM +1030, Glen Turner wrote:
> Stewart Smith wrote:
> > Publication of the ACMA blacklist could possibly be a crime.
> > We encourage our members to speak up and have the debate on censorship.
> > We believe the governments policy to break the internet is broken.
> > We have to act responsibly however, and based on our legal advice we
> > cannot syndicate the feeds of people engaged in such activies.
> Stewart,
> The publication of that legal advice would be useful as it is
> counter to the common understanding of the Broadcasting Services
> Act.

My understanding is that "our" in the above means "offered by us",
rather than "received by us".

> In particular, the common understanding is that you are required
> to delete a link to Prohibited Content if, and only if, you receive
> a Link Deletion Notice.

The concern in particular was more that the prohibitions against
"distributing" child pornography is broadly enough defined that it covers
providing links to sites that could be related; based on the Simpsons
ruling and similar, we'd rather just be paranoid about what gets done
using the organisation's resources.

As far as contributing to good policy, Linux Australia seems better
suited to a role of providing useful comment on approaches that work,
rather than undergoing civil disobedience to protest approaches that
don't. YMMV, of course.

Cheers,
aj

(Linux Australia council member, but writing primarily on his own behalf)