[Linux-aus] Things not to post to planet linux australia

Glen Turner gdt at gdt.id.au
Thu Mar 26 10:18:09 EST 2009

Russell Stuart wrote:
> Given that is the case, and given the topic is likely to be very
> important to many LA members, I don't think the ban is appropriate.

I don't think we are that far down the path.

For example, LA's legal advice could say that since LA is a volunteer
organisation and there is a risk that a Link Deletion Notice may not be
handled within the required time then it is best that members not post
possibly Prohibited Content.  (Mind you, that is not how Stewart
paraphrased the advice they received.)

So LA may well be acting reasonably. It is LA's characterisation of its
legal advice saying that publication of the blacklist may be a crime which
is concerning. As I wrote, this is not the common understanding.

Since this advice may well be used to bolster the case of those supporting
more repressive Internet censorship the legal reasoning behind this advice
should be open to discussion.

--
  Glen Turner