[Linux-aus] Things not to post to planet linux australia

Russell Stuart russell-linuxaus at stuart.id.au
Thu Mar 26 12:36:53 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 10:28 +1030, Michael Davies wrote:
> Really?  You want our organisation to take higher-than-average legal
> risks for your freedom of speech?  Interesting.

I don't know if I would do that.  It is a bit hard to say.  For example,
if someone was to post something that was clearly illegal under
Australian law, such as child porn, I would strongly support Stewart.  I
would do that despite my strong personal feelings on free speech.

> Going down that path may see long time volunteers reassess their
> involvement so as to minimse their personal risks.

There is only one risk.  It is to the ISP that hosts the web site - not
LA unless they are one and the same.  That risk is after LA and the ISP
receive a link deletion notice, LA doesn't remove the link and the ISP
doesn't take down the site.  In that case the ISP is libel for fines of
$11K per day.  LA is not libel for anything.  As I said, the odds of
this happening at all seem pretty remote given the transient nature of
planet.linux.org.au and the slow rate the ACMA does things.

So this isn't about minimising risks.  This is about running like a
frighten field mouse when a bellicose minister makes unsubstantiated
threats in a newspaper.  Surely LA can display a bit more spine in the
face of adversity.

Perhaps that is putting things a bit strongly, and to be fair I am sure
Stewart has a lot of reasons for deciding to take the action he did.
Hopefully he will explain them here.