[Linux-aus] Support for OpenMediaNow

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 09:49:07 EST 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Stewart Smith <stewart at linux.org.au> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 11:37:22AM +1100, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>> At the recent LCA, Rob Savoye from OpenMediaNow gave a talk about how
>> patents around media codecs need a thorough analysis to clear free and
>> open source codecs from the threat of submarine patents and in order
>> for FOSS projects to work legally with proprietary codecs.
>
> I've mentioned this privately before, but now on list (also for
> discussion). This is something that I'd like to see LA be able to
> support financially.
>
> What I believe it'll come down to is the budgeting session at the
> upcoming LA council f2f. We have to make sure we have the room in the
> budget before we go spending it :)

Stewart, that's awesome! The more the community contributes, the more
the big guys like Google and Mozilla will feel compelled to also
contribute. :)

In addition, Pia had the idea of running a campaign across Australia
to encourage people to contribute personally - after all, uninhibited
multimedia on Linux is a very attractive goal. If anybody would like
to help set up a page/site for such a campaign, please contact me or
Pia.

Cheers,
Silvia.