[Linux-aus] Microsoft ad campaign

Andrew Donnellan ajdlinux at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 17:52:53 EST 2009

On 6/19/09, flame <aphplix at gmail.com> wrote:
> Aside from any anti-competitive issues, this is a Trade Promotion
> Lottery, but I don't see any permit numbers listed in their terms and
> conditions. Also I'm not up to date on the legislation but I was under
> the impression that some states do not allow competitions such as
> this where a purchase is required to enter? They may be giving away
> IE8, but you still have to buy Windows.
>
> If you are interested in making inquiries into the legality of this
> competition with the relevant state authorities you could try the
> following email addresses:
>
> treasuryweb at saugov.sa.gov.au
> gamblingpolicy at saugov.sa.gov.au
> rgl at rgl.wa.gov.au
> licensingcommission at nt.gov.au
> complianceandinvestigations at act.gov.au
> lotteries at act.gov.au
> grc at act.gov.au
> gaming at treasury.tas.gov.au
> compliance at treasury.qld.gov.au
> info at olgr.qld.gov.au
> lottery.inquiries at olgr.nsw.gov.au
>
> I couldn't find an email address for Victoria as
> the www.vcgr.vic.gov.au website seems to be
> offline at the moment.

Well, it's not actually a lottery. The Lotteries and Art Unions
Act/equivalent legislation doesn't appear to cover games of skill like
this one. I'm sure if it were covered MS's lawyers would've picked it
up.

Andrew

--
Andrew Donnellan <><               andrew[at]donnellan[dot]name
http://andrew.donnellan.name          ajdlinux[at]gmail[dot]com