[Linux-aus] Google Linux OS coming..

Aníbal Monsalve Salazar anibal at debian.org
Wed Jul 15 10:16:02 EST 2009

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 06:59:44PM +0930, Barry Williams wrote:
>I severely doubt that google will include malware in its OS which it
>claims they will release completely open source which would require the
>source code for supposed malware be released which I am sure will be
>scrutinised by many a hacker as there will be great interest in the
>Google OS and there are many worried about Google's monopoly. I also
>assume there is a way to test that the source code you scrutinise
>compiles and provides exactly the same as the binaries you download or
>the image that may be released on netbooks to come

A similar scenario to the one described above happened before google and
it went unnoticed for some time.

http://orkinos.cmpe.boun.edu.tr/~kosar/ken/index.html

You probably haven't read "Reflections on Trusting Trust" by Ken
Thompson, one of the original designers of UNIX. The trojan he talks
about in his article was actually in the UNIX C compiler. He worked with
Dennis Ritchie (co-author of the classic "C Programming Language") at
AT&T Bell Labs.