[Linux-aus] It's that time of year again

James Polley linuxaus at zhasper.com
Thu Jul 2 14:15:51 EST 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Jeremy Visser <jeremy at visser.name> wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 07:58 +1000, Steve Walsh wrote:
> > yeah, that'd be right, the domain has not been requested yet. It
> > doesn't exist until you request it, so I'm not overtly surprised that
> > it's not resolving.
>
> Might be a stupid question, but why can't Linux Australia just hold on
> to the domain, and use NS records to change the delegation this time
> every year?
>
> It'd be the sane thing to do, given the linux.conf.au occurs every year,
> and there are people right now that have an interest in accessing the
> site, even though the conference hasn't started yet.

Checking the archives is also sane, as this topic comes up every year.

The most recent discussion I can find is at
http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/2009-March/017414.html

(ftr, I'm with john: as cool as the name is, the limited access we get makes
it a major pain, especially when random people notice it's down and randomly
mail the list reminding everyone of something they already know.  Lets move
on to something we can have permanently, like conf.linux.org.au...)