[Linux-aus] Why Didn't You Vote?

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Wed Jan 28 02:10:33 EST 2009

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009, James Purser wrote:

> Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 15:21:58 +1100
> From: James Purser <james at jamespurser.com.au>
> To: Linux Australia List <linux-aus at linux.org.au>
> Subject: [Linux-aus] Why Didn't You Vote?
>
> This article does raise a valid point even though it seems to contain a
> kernel of snark:
>
> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/22871/1141/
>
> Why do we get low voter turnouts when we obviously have a much larger
> membership? If you didn't vote, I would like to hear why, no blame
> attached, just would be interesting to see the reasons.
> --

Don't know the candidates.

Previously said (but, surprise, surprise, just got derogatory criticism
of the suggestion) that we should have state-based representation.

Perhaps, that way, we might have some idea of who is standing and thus,
for whom to vote.

The Linux Australia Council, or Committee, or whatever, seems oriented
around the conference, and, unless a person attends the conference, the
person is unlikely to know anything much of any of the candidates.

And, in not knowing anything much of the candidates (how many went
doorknocking amongst potential voters?), what is the point in
preferential voting?

That is probably the ultimate question - with the way that it is done,
what is the point? Really?

A simplified system, with state or regional based representation, so
that potential voters can have some real idea of who are the people
who are candidates, other than what we have now; virtual beings, of
whom, most of us have not seen nor met nor heard, and thus, we could
have some real idea of for whom to vote, and, knowing that the vote
really mattters, and that the council or committee is more than just a
conference venue selection body, may inspire more people to vote.

Perhaps, what would be better, might be for the Linux Australia
committee to comprise of the presidents of state and territory, or,
similarly, regigional based organisations, perhaps like the mediaeval
system of a parliament consisting of the headman of each village.

It would more likely give members more of a feeling of representation,
and belonging, rather than just being part of an online, virtual
community.

As it is now, Linux Australia, in WA, is as far removed, as "second
Life", as at http://secondlife.com/whatis/ .

So, Linux Australia needs to become something real for its members,
rather than just a virtual community, to get its members to participate.

And, what is "a kernel of snark"?

Is that something that fell off the jabberwocky, after "The vorpal
blade went snicker-snack!"? (See
http://www.jabberwocky.com/carroll/jabber/jabberwocky.html )

It certainly sounds like that.

--