[Linux-aus] Young Aussies say pirated software is OK

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Fri Feb 20 14:44:01 EST 2009

2009/2/19 Arthur Marsh <arthur.marsh at internode.on.net>:
> Glen Turner wrote, on 18/02/09 21:32:
>> Arthur Marsh wrote:
>>
>>> Aren't IT services at South Australian TAFE colleges out-sourced to EDS?
>>
>> That confuses administration and teaching.  Even if TAFE internally use
>> SAP or PeopleSoft that doesn't prevent them teaching MYOB.
>
> True. I was thinking of student desktops as well as servers.
>
> What I hadn't thought of until after I'd posted was the idea of a room
> full of student desktop pc's that could be completely re-imaged between
> ms-win and gnu/linux via multicast so that effectively ms-win was only
> installed if it was needed for particular applications used by
> particular classes, and that their existed a licensing scheme that only
> charged for actual concurrent installations.

I was doing a Cisco Academy network engineering diploma at Petersham
(Sydney) TAFE in 2006-2007, and they had a room full of PCs that were
frequently imaged over the network between Windows and Linux. The
course covered Linux, Windows and Cisco, which I found to be quite
refreshing given the MS-bias of most TAFEs.

--
Bring choice back to your computer.
http://www.linux.org.au/linux