[Linux-aus] Young Aussies say pirated software is OK

Arthur Marsh arthur.marsh at internode.on.net
Thu Feb 19 21:56:33 EST 2009

Glen Turner wrote, on 18/02/09 21:32:
> Arthur Marsh wrote:
>
>> Aren't IT services at South Australian TAFE colleges out-sourced to EDS?
>
> That confuses administration and teaching.  Even if TAFE internally use
> SAP or PeopleSoft that doesn't prevent them teaching MYOB.

True. I was thinking of student desktops as well as servers.

What I hadn't thought of until after I'd posted was the idea of a room
full of student desktop pc's that could be completely re-imaged between
ms-win and gnu/linux via multicast so that effectively ms-win was only
installed if it was needed for particular applications used by
particular classes, and that their existed a licensing scheme that only
charged for actual concurrent installations.

>> Do EDS offer managed GNU/Linux IT services?
>
> Yes. The big firms have been supporting Linux for some years now.

I know that EDS, an HP company, use linux servers. HP claim that a
sizable fraction of desktops for their employees run Linux also, but HP
seem a bit disconnected from offering their own (well Neoware's) Linux
thin clients as a service for customers and have so far only done
toe-tipping into offering Linux on non-server machines.

>> Should bidders for government funded IT services be required to have
>> competence to deliver solutions based on Free software?
>
> It would depend on the particular work being bidded for. Hopefully
> the next time a tender for desktop support is written it will
> include Ubuntu and RHEL.  I can't see that any of the firms that
> currently bid for such large business would have any trouble filling
> the requirement. The point would be more to not make the support
> an expensive ex-contract item.

Indeed.

>> The other invisible elephant in the use of software is how costs of
>> Microsoft software are met - it is automatically assumed that there will
>> be licensing (and maintenance, including extra staff, hardware...) costs
>> and the costs are passed on in such a way as to obscure their
>> blood-sucking effect on the local economy.
>
> Ah. Here's the problem -- if you don't want a headcount-based license
> fee then you need to somehow count machines.  And since the use
> of not-Microsoft software varies considerably by profession the
> count of machines would need to be more like a census than a
> survey.

For "tied down" desktops and servers, in an educational institution it
should be possible to count machines with ms operating systems. The
possibility of running ms-apps remotely as I did from "tied down" sun
machines at Flinders uni around 2000 also makes it easy to actually
count the number of concurrent users of ms-apps.

> At the prices a large business pays for Microsoft licenses the cost
> of the census would run at about 20% of the total costs.
>
> Note that I totally agree about the lack of incentive arising from
> headcount-based license fees. The trick is to negotiate an alternative
> with an implementation cost which is not large and which you can
> convince Microsoft to accept.
>
>> Arthur (imagining billboard posters with slogans such as "Free as in
>> Freedom" and "Don't fear the penguin").
>
> IHMO all vendor-PR signage in inappropriate unless you are a vendor.
> I particularly wince when I see Microsoft and Cisco posters in
> state government offices (as I recently did). These imply an unhealthy
> lack of objective evaluation.

I wasn't thinking of inside educational institutions.

I was thinking of billboards such as the one on the western end of
Blythewood Road by Torrens Park railway station - it would be good to
have a linux penguin (and possibly logos for other Free software) with a
simple URL to an Australian site with links to obtaining and using free
software and information about using it.

Arthur.