[Linux-aus] penguin shirts

Andy White andy at lgsolutions.com.au
Wed Feb 18 13:08:45 EST 2009

I strongly disagree. Using a particular art style is hardly co-opting
an entire culture; I feel that frowning upon the use of one particular
art style trivialises the breadth and depth of aboriginal Australian
cultures. If you were depicting the Rainbow Serpent, sure, now you're
probably in dicey territory.

Would you frown upon a shirt that depicted Tux in Egyptian
hieroglyphics? The style of rock paintings of some African cultural
groups? How about a shirt done in the style of European cave
paintings? Why does one (admittedly, very poorly treated and deeply
undervalued) culture's art style become somehow a sacred thing and not
to be used by the white fella - isn't using their art style a way of
spreading, reinforcing and VALUING their culture?

At the end of the day, it's a mode of depiction - it's what you depict
that makes the difference, IMO. If it's a significant issue for enough
people, donate some money to one of the many welfare groups devoted to
the aboriginal peoples of the land.

Andy White
e: andy at lgsolutions.com.au
m: +61 411246100