[Linux-aus] [Fwd: Application to Grants Scheme]

Melissa Draper melissa at meldraweb.com
Sun Feb 15 18:33:12 EST 2009

Greetings,

On Sun, 2009-02-15 at 13:18 +1100, Steve Walsh wrote:
> Forwarded on behalf of Christian Ramilo for Discussion as per the grants
> requirements

<snip>

> 1.5 Equipment Cost
> ==================
>    We wish to purchase two V3-M2A690G Asus Barebone computers from
> local supplier Hallmark Computers; each computer costs about $990 (inc
> GST), with the following specifications:
> - Asus V3-M2A690G Barebone
> - AMD Phenom 9550 Quad Core CPU
> - 2Gb Transcend 800Mhz DIMM's
> - Seagate 7200.10 500Gb SATA HDD's
> - Upsonic ProOffice 650Va UPS

<member hat>

I personally consider this to be a worthwhile investment, but I'd like
to make a few comments for discussion.

While 2gb RAM might suffice the servers *now*, if people are using a
combination of firefox, OO.o and a graphics application (or more!), then
this is going to run dry fairly quickly -- especially when the network
expands.

Given RAM is relatively cheap, I would *highly* recommend investigating
a substantial increase to the ram for the machines for improved
performance now, and future-proofing the setup. What is the upper limit
for that motherboard?

</member hat>

<council hat>

As per the latest minutes
(http://wiki.linux.org.au/Ctte/MeetingNotes/MeetingNotes20090205) the
Linux Australia Council has already passed motion to allow an exception
to the $2000 monthly Grants budget for this reason, should the Grant be
accepted by the Linux Australia membership.

</council hat>

--
Melissa Draper

w: http://meldraweb.com & http://geekosophical.net