[Linux-aus] Young Aussies say pirated software is OK

Tom Sparks tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au
Wed Feb 11 13:48:26 EST 2009

----- Original Message ----
Sent: Wednesday, 11 February, 2009 9:38:57 AM

>I donated some computers to a charity here in Canberra a while back, and I
>asked them what they thought of Linux.  They replied, "Oh, no, we don't
>install that here, we supply them with Microsoft software because that's what
>businesses expect people to use."  Then I asked what software they installed.
>~ "We have a special deal with Microsoft: we install Windows 2000 and Microsoft
>Works."  And this is supposed to help them?  An operating system and an
>'office' package that is completely different from what they're likely to
>encounter at any place that employs them?  It's absolutely crazy.

>We all need to push against this implicit endorsement of proprietary software
>where possible.

Mircosoft was BASIC interpreters company not a OS company
Microsoft made a agreement in the 1980 with IBM to supply a OS
the other computer companies under the IBM PC compatible requirement started to make agreements with Microsoft
Microsoft started to abuse it powers in the agreements to require payments even when MS windows in NOT installed on the computer
and now that we only have two OS developing company, Microsoft and Apple unlike the 20+ in the 1980
yea, I know there is linux witch is a OS, but there is no one company that owns "linux" as a whole, there are company that fund the linux distributions like ubuntu

I don't want to pay to more to have MS windows on my computer (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_refund) without being give the option
the computers could have ubuntu installed with CD-ROMs of different OS (including a demo of MS windows) and let the user decide

 tom_a_sparks

      Make Yahoo!7 your homepage and win a trip to the Quiksilver Pro. Find out more