[Linux-aus] Young Aussies say pirated software is OK

Karl Goetz karl at kgoetz.id.au
Sun Feb 8 21:20:52 EST 2009

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 13:37:31 +1100
Harry WWC <harry at woodward-clarke.com> wrote:

> hang on a sec...
>
> (disclaimer - I am a TAFE Teacher in IT)
>
> > the problem is that the education places (TAFE, uni, etc) train you
> > in MS software and jobs NEED you to use and know MS windows and
> > related software (MS office, photoshop, etc) until this cycle is
> > broken at group of us well pirate software
>
> we are *required* to teach the main tools used in commercial
> businesses. People come to us to learn the tools used in business.

For you, I don't know who "we" is.
If your a private place, your required to teach whatever the client
requests.
If your a public place such as TAFE (I think of TAFE as public ... am I
correct on that?) then the course should cover concepts, and not a
specific program or suite.
I think teaching people to RTFM would help as well... (Once concepts
were instilled).
kk

> But this does not change the fact that what is used in 'the real
> world' (defined as where people can earn money) is in general no FOSS.

And 20-30 years ago, there was generally no Windows and Microsoft
Office.
(Think I accidentally made that point in another email, so I wonder
what I originally meant to say in it)
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)