[Linux-aus] Young Aussies say pirated software is OK

Harry WWC harry at woodward-clarke.com
Sun Feb 8 13:37:31 EST 2009

hang on a sec...

(disclaimer - I am a TAFE Teacher in IT)

> the problem is that the education places (TAFE, uni, etc) train you in MS software
> and jobs NEED you to use and know MS windows and related software (MS office, photoshop, etc)
> until this cycle is broken at group of us well pirate software

we are *required* to teach the main tools used in commercial businesses.
People come to us to learn the tools used in business.

I have had this 'discussion' with my Head Teachers a number of times.
And the end result is them asking me "what is business using?" The
answer is (of course) "MS-Office / Photoshop / Dreamweaver /
VisualStudio.NET / MS-SQL Server / MS-WindowsOS / etc."

I have often offered FOSS alternatives, and indeed, in my classes I show
(and *use*) FOSS.

But this does not change the fact that what is used in 'the real
world' (defined as where people can earn money) is in general no FOSS.

I wish it were different, and it is slowly changing here and there.
Things like the eeePC and other NetBooks are helping, but it will be a
while yet.

{sigh}

.h

--

harry [at] woodward-clarke [dot] com
imago Dei in quolibet hominé inveniartur