[Linux-aus] Drupal story on Computerworld

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Aug 27 01:45:14 EST 2009

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, Jeremy Visser wrote:

> Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 21:33:53 +1000
> From: Jeremy Visser <jeremy at visser.name>
> To: Bret Busby <bret at busby.net>
> Cc: Linux Australia List <linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au>
> Subject: Re: [Linux-aus] Drupal story on Computerworld
>
> On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 17:42 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>> With this discussion of Drupal, as Ekiga is apparently in the process
>> of switching to Drupal, does anyone have any idea as to how the switch
>> may affect Ekiga?
>
> Bret, you also wrote the following on the ekiga-list mailing list on the
> 23rd of August. There were actually three replies to your post, but you
> must have missed them.
>
> On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 00:16:58 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>> What is drupal?
>>
>> Is it software that will replace ekiga?
>>
>> Does it mean that ekiga is to come to an end?
>
> Drupal is simply a content management system (CMS), that is, a web
> application (or basically a bunch of PHP scripts) that they can install
> on their site to allow them to better manage their website.
>
> Ref: http://tinyurl.com/cnpepe (You'll see that Drupal is search result
> #4.)
>
> Drupal is what will run the Ekiga.net website. It is completely
> unrelated to the Ekiga software itself.
>
> What you said is akin to saying "Dairy Farmers is upgrading their
> website. I wonder if the milk will taste any different!"

I understood, from the response on the Ekiga mailing list, that Drupal
was to be replacing the GUI of Ekiga; that it would be the new interface
for the software, rather than the interface on the website the provides
the information about the software.

The question that I asked, is significantly different to how you
construed it.

It is easy to ridicule people for the sake of ridiculing them, rather
than seeking to understand the problem, and trying thence to come up
with a helpful and constructive solution.

"Damnant quod non intelligunt" - "They condemn what they do not
understand".

--
Bret Busby
Armadale