[Linux-aus] [Fwd: Call for participants for a panel on Geek Parenting]

Wayper, Paul paul.wayper at transact.com.au
Tue Nov 25 16:39:54 EST 2008

I've been told that some old school programmers think that using a woman
page works better for debugging child programs, but I think that may be
outdated now.

> We haven't even started thinking about compiling one, but I
> have heard from a lot of Developers that there is quite a bit
> of hard work to get the source package to even start to
> compile, often involving yelling, groaning, swearing and
> techniques from the pair-programming school of thought...

Isn't that also called extreme programming? ;-)

> > Also the installation really could do with more automation of
> > housekeeping tasks. I have to manually clean up logs. Why
> isn't there
> > a cron script for this?
> This is something we are definitely lagging behind in the
> closed source world on, but their solution just involves
> throwing money at addons to make the root cause go away...

Computers designed for the bits of life that could be automated.  The
boundary just keeps on shifting over time...

Have fun,

--
Paul Wayper
SYSTEMS ENGINEER