[Linux-aus] [Fwd: Call for participants for a panel on Geek Parenting]

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Tue Nov 25 14:03:37 EST 2008

Paul Shirren wrote:
> I need to file a launchpad bug because ours didn't arrive with a man
> page. Did anyone get a man page with theirs?
We haven't even started thinking about compiling one, but I have heard
from a lot of Developers that there is quite a bit of hard work to get
the source package to even start to compile, often involving yelling,
groaning, swearing and techniques from the pair-programming school of
thought...
> Trying to communicate with it is like fuzz testing. There must be a
> source package somewhere to understand how this thing is supposed to
> work.
Apparently this gets easier the more you build, but stay away from tools
that do distributed compiling, that can get you in some legal hotwater.
> Also the installation really could do with more automation of
> housekeeping tasks. I have to manually clean up logs. Why isn't there
> a cron script for this?
This is something we are definitely lagging behind in the closed source
world on, but their solution just involves throwing money at addons to
make the root cause go away...

--
--==--
Steve Walsh