[Linux-aus] Australian Federal Budget - software depreciation

Marco Ostini m.ostini at uq.edu.au
Wed May 14 01:46:24 EST 2008

Greetings all,

So Last night the Australian Federal Budget was released, the first from a
new Federal Government in a while.

The First Budget of a new government is usually where they attempt to make
their mark and be bold. It was one of our best chances to get FOSS
integrated into Australian governance, but so far I can see no real
evidence of that, despite the submission LA made.

After reflection that's not too surprising, as there has been minimal one
on one contact with the Federal Treasurer. This measure is normally highly
desirable in concert with submissions, to communicate a specific message
through to the decision making process.

After reading the Australian Budget documents last night I came across this
interesting detail.

Within 'Revenue Measures' Under the title of 'Capital gains tax' there's
the option of 'Depreciation of computer software'. Worth a substantial
quantity of money, It's specifically forecasted as:

$m	2008-09 	15.0
$m	2009-10 	300.0
$m	2010-11 	681.0
$m	2011-12 	318.0

That's 1.3 Billion forecasted in the next 4 years.

You'll find the document here:
http://www.aph.gov.au/budget/2008-09/content/bp2/html/revenue-01.htm

If I'm reading this correctly, the Government expects to make about 1.3
Billion on 'Depreciation of computer software'.(???) Could anyone who
understands this better than I explain it to the list?

As for influencing the Federal Government to use and include FOSS, we need
to persistently continue in this endeavour.

Cheers,
Marco