[Linux-aus] Microsoft drops prices to compete with Linux on low-cost laptops

Brent Wallis brent.wallis at gmail.com
Mon May 12 13:30:06 EST 2008

I reckon this time is different to the start of Win 2000 and XP.

For a start, Vistas install numbers are only slightly more than XP was at
this point in time past XPs launch...(if that makes sense...:-))
The overall market has grown 40% plus since XP...meaning that the actual
Vista install numbers when adjusted for market growth since XP, in terms of
share of the overall market, are dismal to say the least.

The only 2 divisions out of the 7 in MS that make a profit are the OS
division and the Office Software Division. For the first time I can
remember, the OS division has suffered a dramatic fall in qtr profit.
That leaves only 1 strong profit centre....probably the reason why they
spent so much effort on the ISO stamp for OOXML....
..Linux and Apple have come far since the launch of XP....

Ubuntu didnt really exist when XP was launched did it?...look how far they
have come in such a short time....
...zero to top of the Linux distros...

IMHO...this time is definitely different