[Linux-aus] CD pressing/printing

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Mon Mar 10 05:52:30 UTC 2008

(resurrecting an old thread)

I'd be interested in forging a proper business relationship between LA and a
particular CD replication vendor. This would provide us with the following
benefits in the longer term:

* no need to go shopping each time we need to get discs
* we know the vendor is good as we've used them before
* both LA and the vendor will save time as we know each other
* we can negotiate better pricing, perhaps with a little cross-promotion
* business synergies leveraging economies of scale to achieve lower TCO... :p

So my questions are as follows:

* what do people (and especially the Council) think of this?
* can anybody suggest disc replication companies to approach?

I don't mind doing some work on this, especially as I have to get discs
printed for the Education Expo in June anyway.

These guys look pretty good: http://www.mediamovers.com.au/specials/

Sridhar

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 at 21:01, Steve Walsh <steve at nerdvana.org.au> wrote:
> Hi Sridhar
>
> CD Production and Duplication costs for copies of the OpenCD and other
> disks were met by Linux Australia under the grants scheme a number of
> times last year, and I believe there is a long term project being led by
> a number of the Education Sector people for printing of 10,000+ disks
> for this exact reason.
>
> The biggest question from cost. From what I can remember from last year,
> disks were $1.58 ( printed in plastic) sleeves for 1,250 disks, for
> total of ~$2,000, or about the standard sort of figure for a grant
> allocation.
>
> So, probably the best way to move this forward is to get a quote
> together, then submit the request as per a standard grant request to the
> Council and the LA list. If you're after 10,000+ disks, then that might
> be a slightly different thing, and would need to be discussed separately
> to a grant proposal.
>
> Steve
>
> Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> > I think this may have been proposed before, but I'll say it just in case
> > it hasn't.
> >
> > I would like to propose that LA covers expenses for CD pressing, with
> > labelling and sleeves. This will allow us to distribute
> > professional-looking CDs at shows like CeBIT and Software Freedom Day, so
> > that our software can be taken more seriously and not viewed as the work
> > of amateurs. It will also head off questions like, "does this have a
> > virus?" and "is this legal?".
> >
> > Examples of CDs that we can distribute in this manner include The
> > OpenDisc and Project Gutenberg.
> >
> > If we can do this at a national level, in collaboration with a CD
> > reproduction company, we could have an efficient service for all
> > community groups.

"I react pragmatically. Where the market works, I'm for that. Where the
government is necessary, I'm for that. I'm deeply suspicious of somebody who
says, 'I'm in favour of privatisation,' or, 'I'm deeply in favour of public
ownership.' I'm in favour of whatever works in the particular case."
	- John Kenneth Galbraith